When I heard about roses and different plants that they
can be multiplied by taking cuttings, Budding and grafting I was amazed and on
that point I decided that I will try to multiply my roses from these above
methods. Initially, I decided that but after some time I realized that taking
cutting is the best method.
Basically, rose cuttings are
branches of the rose plant which are cut and planted in the soil and after
sometime they make roots. These cuttings are taken when the pruning season of
the roses begins and in early spring in areas where frost is likely to take
place and when the danger of frost has passed.
I have
read over the internet that several roses are planted by cuttings e.g. several
Floribundas, Grandifloras, Several DA roses and many more but also read that
rooting hybrid tea roses is very difficult and these roses are generally
propagated by Budding or Grafting. I had a Century II, which is a hybrid tea,
rose bush growing in a container. So, when I pruned it I thought why not take
cutting of this rose and ignored all the myths.
The things you will need to perform such experiment
are:
1.A healthy, Developed rose.2.Sharp Pruning.3.Coarse sand.4.A pot where multiple cuttings can be placed.5.A transparent plastic bag.
I have
completely used organic methods for the propagation of Hybrid tea Rose. Means I
have not used any rooting hormone or inorganic Fertilizer or any thing. Here
are some simple steps to propagate Hybrid Tea Roses:-
1.First of All, Selection of the suitable weather and
temperature is really important. If there is raining the your cutting will
probably get fungus, If there is too much cold weather than it will not
reproduce because roses do not develop under 15’C, If there is a very Hot
weather than Cuttings will burn and For areas where snow is falling or temperature is below freezing point than cutting will
freeze. Basically, Cuttings are planted at the pruning time i.e. Spring or it
can also be taken in fall in areas where there is no harsh winters.
2.The selection of right stem for cutting is very
important i.e. For cutting minimum requirement should be stem of 6 cm long and
width should be of minimum pencil size means ¾ cm or much wider.
3.Cut the stem with a Pruner vertically at 45’ angle just
above the bud Eye which is nearly developing.
4.Take several cuttings for greater chances of rooting. I
took three cuttings of which only 1 developed.
5.Take a pot filled with plain coarse sand with no organic
or inorganic fertilizer.
6.Place the cuttings in the container such that Half or
more than half part of the cutting is in the soil.
7.Cover the pot with some plastic bag to increase the
humidity which is required for rooting.
2.You can also sprinkle some Sulfur over cuttings to
prevent any fugal attack.
3.Place the cuttings at the shady location and prevent
direct sunlight.
No comments:
Post a Comment